Skip to main content

'James' written words by a wallflower


You can’t just expect people to fall at your beck and call James, she said. I know now she was right, deep down I think I knew then, but I guess I just chose to ignore that part of my brain, those thoughts that maybe I wasn’t who I thought I was and maybe I was, or am, a terrible person for it.

I had always told myself I would move to California one day, and now being here, driving down the state route one highway, I feel like I have finally made it. Destined to be here, not stuck in some small town for the rest of my life. My torn copy of Jane Eyre sits beside me, the pages torn and dogeared, notes riddled between the lines, and my favourite passages circled.
You know, I think we are really going to love it here Dude I say. From the crowded backseat Dude my gold lab pops his head between the front seats and pants. Smiling I reach over at scratch his head, I was laughing now, I remember almost perfectly. It was as if the stars had finally aligned for me, I glanced over at Dude his eyes peering out at the distance of road,
A happy moment
Feelings of joy
Ripped away
Glass shattering
Metal screeching on metal
Tire tracks
Black.

Incessant beep, beep, beep. It never ended. Ongoing thump, thump, thump. A pain in my head. Darkness, voices.
James, James are you awake?
I didn’t know, was I dead?
I Don’t think so
Grunting I lifted my hand to my eyes, a string of wires coming along. The bright lights piercing my new eyes. Close the blinds please, the first thing I said.
James its mom, how do you feel? Like I am walking on clouds mother, a skipped beat, I feel like shit.
No need to be rude, ill fetch the doctor. As she walked out of the door, I shifted my hand and looked at my surroundings. From my bed I could see the glass doors, ICU read the frosted glass. Beside me a chair is covered by a blanket, a pillow propped against the leg, mother had been sleeping here. A heartbeat monitor, the source of the beeping. The bottom left corner read the date, March 16th, I had been out for a week.
He just woke up, irritable as always so I guess his personality hasn’t changed. The voice of mother brought me back to reality. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"A Revolution" A short story by Katlynn Chrans

A Revolution; By Katlynn Chrans    “So how’re you finding freshman year” I smiled at my younger brother as he devoured the eggs mom had made us for breakfast. I watched his lips turn up at the corner, the satisfaction clear on his face.    “It’s great!” he enthusiastically replied, grinning from ear to ear again. “I love that I get to pick my classes, do stuff that I love, not stuff I have to do ya know?” he added.    I smiled back while I stood and ruffled his hair. I set my plate in the sink, my mom rushing over to clean it.    “I’ve got that sweetie, you two get going. Claire good luck with your SAT prep test after school, you’ll do great okay” she beamed.    I hugged her tightly; her hand ran softly up and down my back. Her dark auburn hair smelt faintly of roses and honey.    “I love you so so much Claire, I am so proud of you” she whispered to me giving me a tighter squeeze.    I gave her one ...

"East to Eden pt. three: TWEIRAN" A short story by Katlynn Chrans

East to Eden pt. Three: TWEIRAN; By Katlynn Chrans Seven Years Past “How’re you feeling Ara” Uyre asked walking into the small wooden hut, clad in his best battle gear he smiled at me from the mirror. We had both been anticipating this day, he was probably more nervous than I was.    “A little I guess” I replied biting my bottom lip while Roslix gently placed various flowers in my hair    The time had come for me to take my destined role, I had reached my 17 th year and I finally had the knowledge and courage to truly rule the people who had so bravely kept our kind alive for my parents…and for me. I grew to become someone who I believed my parents would be proud of, a strong warrior with a kind heart. Once Uyre had begun teaching me how to rule and understand our people I began to focus more on the trip home. Vinet, the captain of the ship we called Eve, helped me find a way to fuel our ships. It was quite the journey, but eventually, we found a sour...

"Your Misery, Then Mine" A short story by Katlynn Chrans // trigger warning

Your Misery, Then Mine; By Katlynn Chrans             I am going to tell you the story of a boy. I am also going to tell you a story of why we shouldn’t judge people when we don’t know their circumstances. Please listen from a place in your heart. As the anniversary of my uncle’s death closes near I have decided to come back to the topic of suicide, however, this time I will be writing from the outside. I have seen a post about the story of a boy who runs home from the bus every day, it is only short, but very beautiful and sad. So..I have decided to elaborate, give the boy a name, and a story. I have no clue if it was a fictional or true post, but the message is still received. I hope you enjoy.             We sat, impatient and desperately trying to hold our laughter back, as the bus slowed to a stop he sprang from the edge of his seat, just like he always did. O...